- GPAINNOVA is leading RESPIRA project, focusing all its equipments and resources on the design of this medical ventilator in record time. It has Siemens Digital Industries as the main partner and also the support of SMC, TEG and MAM to carry it out.
- RESPIRA device prototype automates manual resuscitators type AMBU, assisting them automatically and monitored.
- The clinical trial will now be carried out with patients affected by Covid-19, which is the last step before homologation by Agencia Española del Medicamento y Productos Sanitarios (AEMPS) of the Ministry of Health. The validation tests have been carried out following the guidelines of the AEMP and under the supervision of the Institut Català de la Salut (ICS) of the catalonian Government, and are being performed at the Hospital Clínic of Barcelona and at Centre de Medicina Comparativa I Bioimatge del Institut de Recerca Germans Trias i Pujol – Can Ruti in Badalona, and also has the participation of medical experts from the Hospital de Sant Joan de Déu in Barcelona.
The catalan multinational company GPAINNOVA is leading RESPIRA project to respond to the global health emergency with the creation of a new prototype of a medical ventilator that is in high demand and which is essential to save lives of those most seriously affected by Covid-19 virus. In the last two weeks, GPA has yielded all its equipment and resources to RESPIRA project to create a prototype that allows the manual resuscitation devices (BVM or AMBU) to be activated automatically, giving a more adequate response to patients in front of the lack of approved automatic ventilators.
RESPIRA device, unlike other prototypes that are being developed, has extra features that allows monitoring of patient’s variables in a personalized way and can be controlled remotely providing easier management in hospitals. The devices are portable and have a robust design.
The device includes the necessary electronics to remotely control and monitor variables such as the frequency and volume of air and oxygen supplied to the patient with technology provided by SIEMENS and through a high-performance drive device manufactured by SMC. The use of a control station allows managing up to 16 devices simultaneously through its own Wi-Fi network.
On Tuesday, March 31st, validation tests ended at Hospital Clínic of Barcelona with a simulator and on April 1st they were tested in animals, at Centre de Medicina Comparativa i Bioimatge (CMCiB) del Institut de Recerca Germans Trias i Pujol – Can Ruti in Badalona. At the same time, as established by the guidelines of the Agencia Española del Medicamento y Productos Sanitarios (AEMPS) of the Ministry of Health, electromagnetic compatibility tests have been carried out to ensure that the device does not interfere with other devices and medical equipments. Finally, yesterday the authorization of AEMPS has been received for the clinical trial with patients affected by Covi-19, which is the last step before the homologation.
RESPIRA project has been developed together with Hospital Clínic and Hospital Germans Trias i Pujol – Can Ruti and under the supervision of Dr. Josep M. Nicolás, specialist in intensive care medicine at Hospital Clínic and professor at Universitat de Barcelona (UB); Dr. Ramón Farré, professor of Physiology at UB and head of the IDIBAPS Biophysics, Respiratory and Bioengineering group; and Dr. Manel Puig, from Instituto de Investigación Hospital Germans Trias i Pujol – Can Ruti. The project also counts on the participation of Joan Grasas, an entrepreneur in health technology and an innovation consultant linked to Institut Català de la Salut (ICS) of catalonian Government and doctors Jaume Pérez Payarols, Martí Pons, Maria Cols and Arnau Valls from Hospital de Sant Joan de Déu of Barcelona for the definition of the requirements, the development of the device and validations. GPAINNOVA team is in contact with AEMPS to ensure the accomplishment of all standards and product homologation as a matter of urgency.
Validation at Hospital Clínic of Barcelona (left) and validation at Hospital Germans Trias i Pujol – Can Ruti in Badalona (right).
The entire production team is ready to start manufacturing once the device is approved by AEMPS. GPAINNOVA calculates that initially they will be able to produce between 150 and 200 units per day, up to 1,000 units per week and progressively will increase production up to 300 units per day. To make this possible, production tests have already been carried out on the assembly line to manufacture the devices used in the clinical study with patients affected by Covid-19.
RESPIRA device was created by GPAINNOVA with the support of partners as SIEMENS for electronics, SMC for electrical actuators, electrical assembly and wiring is done by TEG and manufacturing of cases and final assembly, and calibration is done by MAM. From the first moment, the project has had the support of Secretaría General de Industria y Pyme del Ministerio de Industria, Comercio y Turismo, which has constantly monitored its development, acco
mpanying and advising GPAINNOVA, as well as Agencia Española del Medicamento y Productos Sanitarios del Ministerio de Sanidad, which has processed the authorization in record time. .
Once RESPIRA device is released, GPAINNOVA will offer training and assistance service to facilitate its use by healthcare professionals in hospitals that require it.
Production line of the prototypes for clinical study with patients affected by Covid-19 manufactured at TEG in Vilablareix (left) and MAM in Santa Perpetua de Mogoda (right) under the supervision of GPAINNOVA teams.
Automatic ventilator RESPIRA
RESPIRA device automates manual resuscitation devices (BVM or AMBU), currently widely available in medical centers, and can automatically and continuously assist the patient. Thus, RESPIRA device expands the number of respirators that can function without the need for continuous and manual actuation by medical staff. This complements the respirators commonly used by medical teams. It is a machine that saves lives by controlling and monitoring the parameters necessary to assist human respiration.
RESPIRA project has the support of the main partner Siemens Digital Industries and suppliers SMC, TEG and MAM. GPAINNOVA has made available the website www.respiradevice.com where all details of the project are available.
Press GPAInnova: Betona Comín / Tel 607 29 11 05 / E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Press RESPIRA Project: Jordi Miras Llopart / Tel. 678 43 98 39 /
Communication materials link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dqvowhmtw3g71v3/AABnMudJBmOvQmGx6neTYUI2a?dl=0
• Catalog, renders and images of RESPIRA device
• Videos and images of the validation tests and the production chain of the prototypes used in the clinical study with patients affected by Covid-19.
• Statements about the RESPIRA project of the CEO of GPA Pau Sarsanedas
• Press release in different languages
GPAINNOVA (https://www.gpainnova.com/) is a multinational company located in Barcelona specialized in surface metal finishing machinery and with an innovative project of water drones for different tasks. GPA has a staff of 65 people and more than 25 engineers, with a turnover of € 5.9 million in 2019. The company has received a European Union grant under the SME Instrument program phase 2 H2020. It has been selected within the 1,000 fastest growing European companies in 2020 according to the Financial Times, ranking 76th. (https://www.ft.com/content/691390ca-53d9-11ea-90ad-25e377c0ee1f).
Project supported by top-level Partners
GPAINNOVA (https://www.gpainnova.com/) has the support of the best medical experts from reference hospitals such as Hospital Clínic of Barcelona and Sant Joan de Déu as well as with Centre de Medicina Comparativa I Bioimatge del Institut de Recerca Germans Trias i Pujol – Can Ruti in Badalona. At a technological level, it has first-rate agreements with its main partner Siemens Digital Industries (https://new.siemens.com/es/es/empresa/digital-industries.html), which provides inte-lligence and connectivity (PLC, HMI, etc.). On the other hand, SMC (https://www.smc.eu/es-es) provides the high-precision pulses (electric actuators). In addition, TEG (https://www.teg.es/es/) also participates in industrialization, with wiring and electrical assembly at Vilablareix factory (Girona), and MAM (http://www.mam.es/), with the production of the cases and the final assembly and calibration at Santa Perpetua de Mogoda factory.
Technical features RESPIRA
- Control by PLC with a very simple and intuitive interface
- Interactive 4 ” touch panel (HMI) for control and display of medical assistance
- Movement based on vertical displacement with linear actuator with servo engine
- Tidal volume adjustment by compression of the AMBU.
- Adjustment Ventilation frequency 10-30 rpm
- I: E Ratio adjustable from 1: 1 to 1: 3 with intervals of 0.5.
- Parameter display in real time:
- o Insufflation volume
o Inspiration and expiration pressure (maximum, minimum and plateau)
- Visualization of graphs in real time:
- o Inspiration and expiration pressure
o Insufflation flow
o Insufflation volume
- Security system with visual and acoustic alerts:
- o Maximum Volume (adjustable)
o Minimum Volume (adjustable)
o Maximum PPI Pressure (adjustable)
o Minimum PEEP Pressure (adjustable)
o Actuator error
o Voltage drop
- Patient assistance time counter
- Adjustable stroke to different sizes of manual resuscitators or AMBUs, both disposable and reusable. Use both with atmospheric air, as well as with oxygen supply and reservoir
- Monitoring: Multiple RESPIRA devices can be connected and monitored from the master intelligence, which monitors and controls the ventilators in real time, allowing the medical staff required to supervise the device to be drastically reduced, thus being able to focus on priority actions.
- The device’s design prevents pinching or finger catching and is manufactured with a robust casing that allows it to be transported without suffering damage or shock.
- The device includes drive device and all the necessary electronic components to connect it to the electrical network and to the Ethernet TCP / IP connection with an accessory.
Company Name: GPAInnova
Contact Person: Betona Comin
Phone: 607 29 11 05